Reply to post: The thin line between right and wrong

Chap behind Godwin's law suspends his own rule for Charlottesville fascists: 'By all means, compare them to Nazis'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

The thin line between right and wrong

I can understand that after an event like this people resort to ad-homenims like calling them "shitheads", but I think it's important to make a clear distinction between right and wrong, or events like this could be exploited to advocate new laws that will encroach on everyone's freedom.

Forming organisations to represent and advocate the interests of one's religion / race / identity group is common and acceptable. White people must have the same right to form such such groups as anyone else, particularly where they are becoming an underclass. All groups also have the right to associate, hold meetings, stage protests and peacefully disseminate their views. Clearly the line that was crossed here was the assault / murder (or possible manslaughter) by an individual.

The second line that was crossed is that at least one organisation involved closed ranks to defend the actions of said individual, rather than condemning them as illegal. Even if the perpetrator was provoked, their actions were legally indefensible. Any NGO defending them could be accused of advocating criminality, which is probably in violation of existing laws.

I can't determine which organisations involved this protest crossed these lines. If they have any sense, they would publicly condemn this action, and expell / disassociate themselves from the criminals. Trump condemns racism, but racism was not the crime.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon