Reply to post: Perhaps a Computer Science degree should include History courses.

Google and its terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week in full

TheElder

Perhaps a Computer Science degree should include History courses.

As I have said I speak Danish. I am of viking decent.

Looking at the history of the vikings is interesting. Women were largely treated as equals. They could work at any level they chose including high levels in government. While the Vikings did take some women as slaves they usually became a wife. That was to insure genetic diversity.

If they wanted to pick up a sword and do battle that was also just fine.

Some women rose to a particularly high status. One of the grandest burials ever found in Scandinavia from that period belonged to the Oseberg “queen,” a woman who was buried in a sumptuously decorated ship along with many valuable grave goods in A.D. 834. Later in the ninth century, Aud the Deep-Minded, the daughter of a Norwegian chieftain in the Hebrides (islands off northern Scotland) married a Viking king based in Dublin

The Byzantine-era historian Johannes Skylitzes did record women fighting with the Varangian Vikings in a battle against the Bulgarians in A.D. 971. In addition, the 12th-century Danish historian Saxo Grammaticus wrote that communities of “shieldmaidens” dressed like men and devoted themselves to learning swordplay and other warlike skills, and that some 300 of these shieldmaidens held the field in the Battle of Brávellir in the mid-eighth century.

Viking Women

Heh. I also happen to be in The Thirteenth Warrior...

I am in this pic

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019