Reply to post: You're fired

Google and its terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week in full

PickledAardvark

You're fired

When I was at university in the 1980s a first year student was identified for spraying swastikas and anti-semitic slogans on campus. He was a privileged idiot who did not understand the meaning of his offence and was rightly thrown out. He didn't realise that you can be smarter than average and plain ignorant at the same time.

A few years later he was re-admitted under a different name and after most who had known him previously had graduated. He'd used his privileged background to learn about the world and he apologised honestly for his actions. He was a changed person.

James Damore sounds rather like the offensive idiot I briefly knew. Damore has been thrown to the wolves by Google management who had the opportunity to talk to him about his manifesto or to suspend publication temporarily whilst he considered further. Google seem to be operating open discussion forums internally and Damore believed his contribution was acceptable.

Damore's manifesto -- or as much as I can cope with -- is ingenuous. It's the sort of stuff people write when they don't check the veracity or intent of references.

I know that it seems controversial to extend generosity to the privileged. But surely Google is such a big organisation that it collectively knows that people who have been fast tracked through education and who have always been told that they are special, well, they can be really dumb. They need to be supported like everyone else.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019