Reply to post: I must have been working in a different Silicon Valley

Your top five dreadful people the Google manifesto has pulled out of the woodwork

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I must have been working in a different Silicon Valley

..for the last 30 plus years.

I usually only work for product dev companies, not dot coms or advertising companies (like Google, Facebook, etc), so I tend to work with technically competent people. Funny thing is the last time I worked with an all white dev team the Berlin Wall had just come down. First time I was the only white guy on a dev team was a few years later.

One half of the whole diversity scam is based on pure racism. It seems that all asians are white. Even those south Indians who are even darker skinned than most American Blacks. Product dev teams in the Valley are far less white than the neighborhoods in SF where all the Progressive SJW seem to live. Walk around the Whole Foods in Upper Haight or Upper Market and play the game - Spot The Non White.. Remember, whites are just another minority in the City. About 40%. Whole Food and its ilk are 90% plus white in SF.

The other half of the diversity scam is based on an outright lie. For as long as I can remember, since the early 1980's, the distribution of the sexes is all high tech companies (except 3 guys in a garage) goes something like this. HR, Marketing, General Admin and Finance / Accounting overwhelmingly women. Legal, Graphic Design / UI, Documentation, Project / Product Management usually majority women. Tech Support and QA lots of women. Sometimes majority. Sales, Product Development., Upper Management, majority men. So much for tech company misogyny in hiring.

These numbers really have not changed that much over the decades. In actual product development companies.

The other thing that has not changed over the decades is that the large majority of women in product development positions will over time move into management positions. Usually product / project / middle management. So thats why you will see far more female junior developers than female senior developers. With any given sample of male and female junior developers after 10 years most of the males will still be doing (senior) development work and most of the women will have transitioned to management positions. Thats the way it was in the 1980's when I started. And that is still the way it is today.

The only thing all this "Diversity" scam will succeed in doing is make it even harder for qualified women to be hired. Because hiring managers like me will now add women to the catagory of "protected groups" who the very real risk of potential discrimination lawsuits in the future is just one of the deciding factors in who gets the job offer. So all things being equal guess who gets the job offer when the choice is between a woman, a black and an asian? The person least likely to sue in the future? Its difficult enough running a successful product dev team without having this kind of crap added to the mix. So expect to see the percentage of asians in dev positions (30% plus) in the Valley to continue going up in the future.

See, thats how the real world of running product dev teams actually works. When you have a product to ship. And why it is the height of folly for upper management to introduce any kind of politics into the workplace. It is utterly divisive and always has unintended consequences. All bad. In Googles case, their biggest and most damaging PR fiasco since they left Page Mill Road.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon