Reply to post: Re: Possible or easy?

Hell desk to user: 'I know you're wrong. I wrote the software. And the protocol it runs on'

Pete 2 Silver badge

Re: Possible or easy?

> It would be ridiculous to expect developers to document every technically possible use case for something, especially one's they'd never envisioned.

I think we all understand that is clearly not needed. But two things that ARE needed, depending on where the person wishing to use an application is coming from, are functional documentation - what the available functions of a piece of code actually do, and application documentation - why you would want to use any given function.

One without the other is useless: what is the point of telling someone how to use a keyhole if there is nothing to tell them why they would want to open the door? What is the point of telling them which door to open if you haven't told them how to unlock it?

Without telling users what they can do and how they can do it, writing a piece of software that is intended for other people is a waste of your time, an exercise in futility.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019