Reply to post: Paying for content

Revealed: The naughty tricks used by web ads to bypass blockers

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Paying for content

Blum said other approaches haven't worked. Most people won't pay for content ...

Most people will and do pay for content, provided that they feel they are getting something reasonably valuable or entertaining in return for their outlay. Hands up everybody here who pays for their cable package? Netflix? Local or national newspaper? A streaming-music service or two? Anybody bought a book recently? What abount a CD, DVD, or a paid download? [I won't ask about your TV/radio licence, since that's not a voluntary choice regardless of whether you want it or not]

Give me content at a reasonable price. Give me an option of paying in the manner I find acceptable (and no, watching ads is not an acceptable form of pagment for me). I will pay - just as I pay for a lot of other stuff I find useful. If you feel that your content is so valuable and unique that it can't be made accesible without a payment - by all means, stop me from accessing it. If, on the other hand, you let me freely see the content and then try to force me to pay in the amount and manner I consider unacceptable, I will resist in any way I can - just like I would resist any other form of robbery.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon