Reply to post: Re: Screw the statistics. I'd use the best people I can find to do the job.

Your top five dreadful people the Google manifesto has pulled out of the woodwork

nzok

Re: Screw the statistics. I'd use the best people I can find to do the job.

Where do you get the idea that "Damore can't see that diversity is important in creating quality projects"? His very first sentence is "I value diversity and inclusion, am not denying that sexism exists, and don't endorse stereotypes." Later he says "I ... suggest some ways to increase women's representation in tech". Later again he says "I hope it's clear that I'm not saying that diversity is bad, that Google or society is 100% fair, that we shouldn't try to correct for existing biases, or that minorities have the same experience of (sic.) those in the majority".

Where in the entire memo is there ANYTHING that suggests Damore "can't see that diversity is important"?

Far from attacking diversity, Damore's memo is an argument for (amongst other things) a more diverse diversity. "My larger point is that we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don't fit a certain ideology. ... Viewpoint diversity is arguably the most important type of diversity."

The twitterati that HCV quoted either couldn't be buggered to read the memo before mouthing off about it or were deliberately lying.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019