Reply to post: 4:1 Ratio

Google diversity memo: Web giant repudiates staffer's screed for 'incorrect assumptions about gender'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

4:1 Ratio

No, its down to how men are viewed in modern society. Male teachers or childcare professionals are treated with suspicion from the word go, both by parents and the educational establishment. Therefore, head teachers (90% female) are far less likely to hire male teachers to avoid having to answer difficult questions or 'run the risk'.

By way of correlation, I take my daughter to her junior swimming lessons on a regular basis. There's a lot of kids in attendance and parents often sit by the side of the pool. On the wall, prominently, is a sign that says "no cameras. no mobile phones." Most of the other parents that attend are mothers, rather than fathers, and many mobile phones and cameras are in clear and obvious usage. My phone bleeped with a message. I took it from my pocket to read said message then put it away again. Within moments, the pool management had turned up, in force, and asked to see my phone (I refused) and then asked me to leave the pool as they had had "several complaints" from the other parents.

My language was both choice and colourful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon