Reply to post: Microsoft tried the same thing with Windows RT

Microsoft Surface laptop: Is this your MacBook Air replacement?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Microsoft tried the same thing with Windows RT

Microsoft, stop trying to make walled garden Windows happen; it's not going to happen. We don't want a Microsoft account, so the Windows Store is irrelevant.

I'm sure the sysadmins (even the ones from schools or governments) are smart enough find out how to configure Windows so the students wouldn't be able to mess around with it for non-educational purposes.

If schools want a locked down system for educational usage without need of a PC's extra features, they usually get iPads.

Otherwise students (especially those in universities) would bring their own laptops (including MacBooks). Or do their projects at the school's computer lab.

IPads. They're not expensive if you buy 1-2 generations behind, even the refurbished ones function well.

This was what happened in the military of a certain country which I shall not name. Its military had bought a lot of Samsung Galaxy S5 phones around 2016 to work with a new GPS-based communications systems (replacing the bulky analog signal sets). The phones were locked down and preinstalled with only the relevant apps for field operations.

Microsoft is either trying to reinvent the wheel, or I surmise it's a sly way to impose a 'tax' to make schools upgrade from Win 10 S to a fully functional Win 10. That 'tax' really snowballs in a volume license purchase.

Nice little cunning plan, SatNad. But you are not fooling me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon