Reply to post: Glad to know

The Reg chats to Ordnance Survey's chief data wrangler

handleoclast

Glad to know

I'm very glad to know that OS introduces over 20,000 changes a day.

Unlike google maps, which does not show the cul-de-sac where I live. Despite me having lived here for the past 8 years (it was new build when I moved in). Despite me submitting an amendment to google maps three months ago.

Openstreetmap does show my cul-de-sac. But only because I added it myself a month or so ago.

Which makes OS better than either of those two, because it added my cul-de-sac years ago, when it got notified of planning permission. OS is that good. Yay!

Oh. I just looked at the online OS map. Yep, the outline of the buildings is there, but not the dead-end street itself. It's not even an unnamed street. Same as google maps then. Anybody using either of those to find me is going to have a hard time, because my street doesn't exist.

Actually, google maps is slightly better than OS because you can request satellite view of the entire area. OS maps you have to "drop a pin" before it will condescend to show you an aerial view of a tiny area surrounding the "pin." So you can't even use an aerial view to locate what you're looking for (should you happen to be able to recognize it from above) on OS.

So, actually, OS is pretty shit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon