Reply to post:

Brits must now register virtually all new drones and undergo safety tests

Mad Mike

@SkippyBing.

I haven't seen the videos and didn't know they tested smaller as well.

To be honest, if even a small drone causes glass splinters, then they really need to do something about the windscreens. They clearly aren't strong or resilient enough. Whilst I appreciate birds are much softer, I would have thought an albatros hitting wouldn't be good news under those circumstances?

Perhaps the issue (for windscreens at least) is that they need to be better. Maybe drones are just highlighting the problem?

Now, the average turbofan engine; that's a different matter. Have they done any tests on a drone entering one? What sort of size and construction drone leads to compressor blade failure etc.?

Hobbyists have been flying fixed wing and rotary models for a long time now and some of those are pretty damn heavy and solid. I remember a neighbours helicopter that would put most drones to shame in terms of solidity and weight. Is it that hobbyists know what they're doing and keep away from sensitive areas (would have thought some dodgy/stupid people have used them though), or are they too difficult to fly and people just give up, whereas drones are much simpler?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon