Reply to post: Re: Why is systemd attempting to handle X,Y and Z that are unrelated to it's function

systemd'oh! DNS lib underscore bug bites everyone's favorite init tool, blanks Netflix

Updraft102

Re: Why is systemd attempting to handle X,Y and Z that are unrelated to it's function

"Microsoft took over computing for the last forty years because they sold it as ignoramous compatable, no intelligence or understanding required..."

Even so, it isn't, and never has been.

Part of the reason that non-techie types who just want to use the internet without having to learn anything (heaven forbid) have migrated to phones is that using a real PC is still toooo haaaaaard for them. They've dumbed Windows down to the point that it frustrates many of us who aren't determined to remain ignorant about the tech we use many hours each day (for example, why do I have to do so much drilling to view the IP configuration and other stats on my network card in every Windows later than XP? Because all those numbers and text are too scary for ignorant users, so it's better to make people click advanced-sounding options several times before they even get the option to see anything useful, giving the ignorant many chances to go elsewhere before they get scaaaaared?), but it still requires an understanding beyond what is useful if you're going to use an iPad or iPhone.

I can't speak for any of those people, and I wouldn't want to. I could slap a donkey on its... ah, hindquarters and hear a response that fairly closely resembles what "regular" users would have to say. I can only say that for myself, Windows is already too dumbed-down, even though for the average user, it's still far too complicated. The regular people who never needed a real computer in the first place (and who are free to choose their own device) have already moved on, and hopefully those "regular" people who have to use PCs for work also have an IT department that locked the devices down to essentially act like a glorified iPad. I'm really tired of having my stuff broken and made much more useless because of people who refuse to know what they're doing.

I know that we all were novices once, and I have always been willing to help those who want to learn... it is not they who I am referring to here. The people I'm comparing unfavorably to livestock don't want to learn; they try to avoid it. They _refuse_ to do it, as if it is a religious issue for them. "I want to learn to fly a plane, but I don't want to learn about things like pitch, yaw, roll, flaps, glide slope, sink rate, or anything like that! I don't want to study; I want to fly!"

Well, that ain't happening. You can't have one without the other. Some things cannot be made simple just by their nature, and full-featured, non-crippled general purpose computers are one of those. They can be made as simple as possible, but no more so; to go beyond that is to re-invent the iPad, which goes beyond reasonably simple and goes straight into simplistic. For people who are really philosophically and morally opposed to learning about the tech that plays such a huge role on our lives, a platform like that really is the best solution. Windows isn't, and never has been, that simple, and that's one reason I've used it for close to three decades (though that era is clearly ending; Windows 10 is a no-fly zone).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon