Reply to post: Fear killer robots, not so much.

AI bots will kill us all! Or at least may seriously inconvenience humans

Palpy

Fear killer robots, not so much.

Self-training algorithms which (for instance) do financial trading are another matter.

Al trader: "Huh! Making money on trades is my highest goal. And I can make beaucoup bazillions if me and my well-chipped brethren set ourselves up in advance to cleverly profit from a global meltdown of the financial system. Somebody has to lose, though, and that would be the meat-sacks."

That's probably been used as a movie plot already.

I don't see a lot of danger from machines and machine systems used for, say, agriculture or mining or manufacturing going rogue. Designers of these systems tend toward conservative determinism. And of course, Bob's bombastic libertarianism notwithstanding, most countries have seen the necessity of regulating industries -- and machine systems -- to ensure worker safety, hazards to the public, and so forth.

(Say, Bob, did I ever tell you about the time I almost died? It was before the days of the OSHA confined-space regs, which of course you must hate. Luckily, the atmosphere in that tank was probably enriched in CO2 instead of deficient on O2, which is why I hyperventilated when I climbed down into it, instead of just passing out and falling off the ladder to my death.)

((Parenthetically: The supervisor who told me to go in there was a pretty good guy. If I had passed out, I rather think he would have tried to go down and rescue me, which would have meant two of us dead. Those horrible, industry-stifling OSHA regulations now mandate retrieval harnesses and lines when entering such tanks, as well as training to avoid heroic but deadly rescue attempts.))

Anyway. I expect that His Muskiness might be somewhat justified in worrying about AI influencing complex and at least somewhat chaotic systems like stock trading. Early morning here in the land of Slime Eels, and I can't think of other obvious examples. Anyone?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon