Reply to post: Re: The funny side is a bit morbid here

Jesus walks away after 7,000lb pipe van incident

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The funny side is a bit morbid here

> The worst I saw was the side panel of a lorry carrying scaffolding tubes that popped open

A friend's son was following a couple of lorries on a motorway when the first suffered a suspension collapse and the leaf springs fell out onto the road. The lorry in front of him ran over one and flipped it up: it went through the windscreen end-on and then through his eye socket, taking the side of his head off.

Somehow, he brought the car to a stop without crashing. His girlfriend, who was in the passenger seat, was unhurt. (As unhurt as seeing a scene from a horror movie play out in front of you can be.)

After three months in a coma and ten months in hospital he got to go home with 'life changing injuries' (as the media now like to say) i.e. blind and deaf on one side, severe brain damage and unable to do anything for himself. He was only mid-twenties.

There is no upside to this story. The police did track down the lorry and driver but because it had passed its most recent MoT they couldn't prosecute.

What can I say? Make the most of what you have when you have it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon