Reply to post: My thinking

Hey, remember that monkey selfie copyright drama a few years ago? Get this – It's just hit the US appeals courts

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

My thinking

PETA are not acting for the benfit of the monkey in question, IMHO this is all about furthering their own finacial and political agenda.

The PHOTOGRAPHER infested funds and worked to set up the shot and even if the particular picture had been accidental then that has not historically stopped people from benefiting from a happy circumstances.

That being said, without the monkey, the photgrapher would not have the image to copywrite, It would be reasonable that once the photographer has made a reasonable return on his investment that he return some funds to the benefit of the subject. There does seem to be genuine people at the location who could accept funds for the betterment of his co-creator. Further it would seem reasonable that the photgrapher would show his appreciation and a desire for the continuation of the environment and subject that allowed him a living.

This does not mean that he should kowtow to a bunch of grabbers who create nothing but hot air, I was thinking more along the lines of a quiet donation to a group that would use the money only to protect the wild life and environments where the picture was taken i.e. not PETA.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon