Reply to post: Re: my relocation bundle

'My dream job at Oracle left me homeless!' – A techie's relocation horror tale

big_D Silver badge

Re: my relocation bundle

Getting information about how to register yourself and researching about bank accounts etc. is also important. Usually you have to work your termination period at your old company, before moving and generally you will have a few days or weeks at the end of the period, where you have to take your overtime and leave, before you can legally start with the new company.

Obviously, this is assuming you are jumping from one job to another, if you are unemployed things can be a little different, but you generally won't start the day after you are given the job, especially if it is in a new country.

When I moved from the UK to Germany, I allowed a week to get myself sorted out, once I got there - I was lucky, I had friends there who helped me find a flat, which I sorted out 2 weeks before I was due to move. Upon arriving, I got myself registered at the local council offices (you have to register yourself in Germany) and opened a bank account. By the time I was ready to start work, I had everything sorted.

When I moved from South Germany to the North, it had to go quicker. It started off with me visiting a mate, whilst I was between contracts (I was working freelance at that stage) and I was offered a couple of weeks work. After a week, I was offered a full-time contract, starting straight away. As part of the conditions, I got a day for the move (traveled on the weekend, the removals company came first thing on Monday and I drove back up the same day) and a day for registering myself and moving my bank account to the local branch.

If you are moving a long distance, especially between countries, then the new employer should be understanding and allow you a couple of days in the first couple of weeks to get things sorted. If you aren't getting time off to get yourself sorted or the company isn't providing a liaison to help you get sorted, I would really think twice about taking on the job.

The other thing is, you really need to know the local lingo. Knowing English isn't enough, especially if you are moving to an metropolitan city. In both cases, when I moved, nobody at the local council offices or the bank spoke a word of English, so I had to get everything sorted in German. For the first move, I had somebody with me who could translate for me and explain what was needed. The second move I managed by myself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019