Reply to post:

Microsoft drops Office 365 for biz. Now it's just Microsoft 365. Word

WolfFan Silver badge
FAIL

I'm sure they are doing this purely to stop Google (in productivity) and Apple, Google, Linux in end user OSs from picking off their customers. There are many companies out there that want Google G Suite, but also want Windows... or use Macs, but also want Office. They are attempting to say "if you want Windows... you're welcome to buy G Suite, but we are going to double your Windows prices if you don't buy the bundle... so give it a think."

I went to microsoft.com and tried to find a way to get info about Microsoft 365 Business and Enterprise. I found a lot of bumf, but no real info; I went to the 'contact me' page and, after a prolonged wait, got one of their drones up on the web chat. ("unusual volume", yada-yada-yada) The drone had no clue about MS 365, but could cough up a phone number. I haven't had time to call it. I will. This should be interesting.

I have a lot of Macs. If MS 365 even looks as though it will increase my costs, and it does, I will be waving bye-bye to MS products. Every single machine will be a Mac or will run Linux, probably Ubuntu or Mint, or BSD. All of them. Any machines which need office-type things (which will not include the servers) will run iWorks from Apple or LibreOffice. I can't use LibreOffice on everything as we have some iPads, and LibreOffice is, I think, GPL3 and so ain't ever gonna be in the Apple Store. No, I'm not going to jailbreak the iPads so as to get it, either. iWorks is free, even if it simply isn't as good as MS Office in many ways (in particular Numbers stinks compared to Excel) but it's _free_.

Congrats, MS. I've been a Word (and an Excel!) user since 1985. I've used it on Macs, and Windows. I've spent lots and lots of money on licenses, and on training for new users, and all kinds of other things that go with using MS Office. Kiss goodbye to all that. And I'm sure that I won't the the only one who bails.

Yes, I'm pissed off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon