Reply to post: Re: Sir Tim is 62

Web inventor Sir Tim sizes up handcuffs for his creation – and world has 2 weeks to appeal

GrapeBunch Bronze badge

Re: Sir Tim is 62

Hear, hear, Mikel. I think that Sir Tim should consider holding out for a little more. Internet History is littered with examples of copy protection that turns out to be unbreakable even for the playing client. From telephone numbers that you phone to obtain a key--until the company decides to discontinue the number--to servers that just go offline or companies that go bust.

Copyright and copyright protection is a social contract. Big publishers, together with their syruped allies in government, have been trying to dictate the terms of that contract in recent decades. Perhaps it's time to take back something for the little guy or gal.

Here is my idea. Yes, W3C agrees to DRM, on this basis: the stream or transmission includes a Basic version of the video, in a resolution that may be the same as terrestrial OTA TV reception from 1967. This version is freely copyable and recordable. The DRM resides in the paid portion of the transmission, which provides higher resolution / higher bitrate audio. Yes, I'm proposing Communism of a low-res version of every program. A bit similar to the way you can see many TV programs in a partial screen and with distorted audio on Youtube. It's already there. Former users of dial-up internet will remember when still images could be imperfectly rendered in a second or two, and then would sharpen with time. It even happens sometimes today on broadband. I don't know if this same concept is implemented in video streaming, but with multiple cores it should be no harder than stills were in 1989. I could make the argument that it's good (marketing) for publishers to give away a low-res version of everything, but instead I will say that it's a reasonable balance for the inventors of the Internet to seek, in favour of humanity. And if the damn verification server disappears, the purchaser will at least have something, even though he knows he paid for it and others did not.

Yes, the publishers can ignore it. Hell, they could have ignored the Internet from the beginning, and I would not complain.

If you have read this far, thank you very much. A lot of BS on the Internet surrounds the partial circumvention of copyright. I'd like to clear away the BS. Readers may note that in Canada, Bachelor of Science is BSc; I'm not talking about that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019