Reply to post: Re: Whatever happened to the great migration to IPv6?

Crashed RadioShack flogs off its IPv4 stash

bombastic bob Silver badge
Devil

Re: Whatever happened to the great migration to IPv6?

well, Micro-shaft can't even get it right for their OWN web sites...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/19/windows_10_bug_undercuts_ipv6_rollout/

if everyone were running Linux or BSD (or OSX for that matter) we wouldn't be having this topic.

Unfortunately, that is NOT the case, and Micro-shaft's networking INCOMPETENCE is standing in the way.

And... do you REALLY want 'wannacry' going over IPv6 and affecting EVERY! COMPUTER! with an IPv6 address, because Micro-shaft can't properly firewall, and IPv6's are PUBLICALLY VIEWABLE, yotta yotta yotta? It's bad enough with all of the well-known listening ports [a number that grew starting with XP, then Vista, then 7, then "Ape", and now WIn-10-nic], and you know how it is with Micro-shaft and their open/listening ports. IPv6 exposes them to the _WORLD_ and unless your router can block them for you, you're probably _vulnerable_ because, Micro-shaft INCOMPETENCE in networking stuff.

Anyway I have IPv6 running on my network. I use a he.net free tunnel. I firewall all of the ports I mentioned, so that any winders boxen on the network are protected, using a FreeBSD machine, which has a really good IPv6 stack and 3 different available firewalls to choose from. You can reject incoming connections on ANY of those ports from anything that comes in over a particular adapter [in this case, the IPv6 tunnel] and voila! BLOCKED! And SMB networking (and other windowsey stuff) still works behind the firewall.

So why can't Micro-shaft get it right?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019