Reply to post: Re: I don't see a problem.

Web inventor Sir Tim sizes up handcuffs for his creation – and world has 2 weeks to appeal

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't see a problem.

@Yes Me,

As long as there's copyright law in the real world, there's going to be DRM on-line, so it's better for it to be based on an open standard (and on open source implementations). I think the EFF position is unreasonable. To get rid of DRM, first get rid of copyright law (and good luck with that).

I quite agree.

There's a massive contratiction in the argument put forward by the anti-DRM (and therefore anti-copyright) lobbyists. The GPL relies utterly on the enforeceability of copyright law. The EFF is a strong defender of copyright when it comes to that...

Online distribution of paid, DRM protected media has thus far been fairly lame-brained. Fair Use is a really difficult technological problem to solve. I think that this new extension could (and I acknowledge that it relies utterly on film studios, etc. being actively minded to do this) be used to support a DRM system that enables fair use by educational institutes, etc. If that's what happened, the EFF really, really wouldn't have any leg to stand on at all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon