Reply to post: @ ACs

El Reg partners with Action for Children to give IT industry an uncomfortable night

Alistair
Windows

@ ACs

". But because you partnered with them to apply moral pressure to us, I will never donate to them."

Your morals. Your choice. Ethics however are an entirely different thing. Ethically what ElReg is doing is a good thing, spreading the word about an event and encouraging participation. I support them for this. I see no "moral pressure" here, and that you do see it makes you a reactionary snowflake from my "moral" perspective. This will likely leave you alone, lonely, cranky and isolated in your old age, and will grant you the same emotional experience as the kids. Good luck.

"Austerity is violence "

" If we cut tax evasion in the UK by 1/3rd for just one year, you could buy every single homeless kid a house" [CITATION NEEDED]

While I agree with your commentary in principle, your lack of functional and realistic solutions makes the whole comment rather limp. Curing the financial situation of wealth disparity will take far more than fixing or resolving simple tax laws. Free market is and has been the way we've created wealth. The issue is that a fully free market involves slaves and the wealthy, armed portion stealing what it wants/needs. We need to work to find a balance in both law and education to encourage a better balance in the distribution of wealth.

Kids end up homeless for a *lot* of reasons in the western world, it is unpretty and it makes most folks with offspring cringe at the though that one of their offspring could end up there some day. There are ways to help these youth in some cases, there are means in some cases, but these ways and means will *never* be fully sufficient, until selfish folks get their collective asses out of their heads, both in how we raise and educate our children, and in how we arrange the world for them to enter.

There is a similar operation held here in Canada, at least in the TeeDot and La Belle Cite, which I have supported - one of the companies I've worked for has at least 8 members of the C suite and a couple BOD members participate, and they and the staff contribute.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon