Reply to post: Re: Cost is the smaller concern

Ubuntu 'weaponised' to cure NHS of its addiction to Microsoft Windows

Nattrash
IT Angle

Re: Cost is the smaller concern

Hmmm... True, maybe...

However, I think it's closer to the truth to highlight that this perhaps has nothing to do with tech, however tech oriented we all are.

It's all politics. Like some other commentards here already mentioned, the mayor who championed the development and roll out of LiMux was a Green politician. His policy and commitment was to be vendor lock in independent. As we all know, MS took this policy so serious that our friend, raging bull Steve B flew to Munich to discuss this issue with the mayor specifically. Now, you have to admit, that is at least remarkable, especially if we take MS attitude (problem) in account.

But as always in politics, nothing is for eternity...

When the (current) more conservative mayor (CSU for the insiders) campaigned, he already announced the abolishment of LiMux and a return to Windows. This was in his campaign speeches and policy proposals. And from that I think it's safe to conclude this has nothing to do with the tech. Politics? Yes. Campaign support? Yes. MS promise to move their HQ to Munich (which by now is a fact)? Yes. Money? Yes! But tech? No, don't think so.

And I mean, if your doubting that, the arguments used/ reported in the media should (as an IT person) show you something. I mean, Munich's HR department is quoted multiple times as a trouble spot. They seem to be "special users" with "special applications that only work with Windows". Now, cloud/ browser/ SaaS based seems to be too special for them, but reading about it more, even the "special", or if you will "power user" status becomes doubtful. It turns out that their main argument for the return to Windows is that with LiMux they "can't open/ print PDFs".

I know...

Politics isn't always pretty...

Or cheap...

Or fair...

But luckily there is one certainty: People can't stop making an arse of themselves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019