Reply to post: Re: @ kiwi "ALL software has bugs"

Don't panic, but Linux's Systemd can be pwned via an evil DNS query

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: @ kiwi "ALL software has bugs"

That human's err is not unknown, since we know this then we can take actions to mitigate the chances of a typo being an issue.

It reminds of electronic projects from my youth and machine code programming onto an EPROM via entering the hex and manually writing it byte by byte, if you made one fat fingered mistake then you had to wipe it and start again. Whilst it was an absolute pain it was possible, with sufficent diligence and practice input errors disappeared.

Flash forwards a few decades and people are saying that it is not possible to avoid typos in a highlevel programming language which has lots of verification tools to help, from my experience if you cannot manage to avoid typos ending up in your finished code then clearly things have been made too easy for you to enter bad data. Perhaps if compilation error detection wiped your source you might learn to code without errors too.

The lessions I learned were to be certain of what your are entering and keep things small so you do not have to maintain that level of concentration for too long. Now programming is so much easier we seem to have lost the discipline and especially the attention to detail.

Bug free code is possible but why bother when enough people believe that it is not

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon