Reply to post:

Ubuntu 'weaponised' to cure NHS of its addiction to Microsoft Windows

Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

" WannaCry attack that hit the NHS in May stripped bare a system that relied heavily on unpatched Windows software, leaving to many health insiders questioning if there could be a better way to run software projects."

How about just appying security critical patches in a timely manner? or am i missing something?

" “One of the key drivers was the immense amount we spend on desktop licensing – it’s at least £100m every year, according to figures from Digital Health Intelligence. That’s being spent on Windows XP - although that’s as widely used as you’d expect – and Windows 7. "

I guess most of that is the winXP extended support? my plan would be stop paying , mak sure the machines arnt externally facing , and replace asap.

Those machines running xp , are probably doing so because they have cheap software on that the developer didnt feel the need to upgrade to W7 , and is possibly still collecting licence fees. Changing to Ubuntu wont remedy that.

In fact there are very few of the computers in an NHS trust that dont use software unavailable on linux , if you can unpack that string of negatives.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019