Reply to post: Re: Well they already cut themselves off from a big portion of the "market"

In the week Uber blew up, Netflix restates 'No brilliant jerks' policy

JLV

Re: Well they already cut themselves off from a big portion of the "market"

Alright, Christian, I'll bite.

What's your point, exactly? They are not selling you products and limiting your use of them. They are renting digital products and making sure you can't use them outside of the rental context. Why would they risk having rentals be duplicated? For what purpose? Which of your rights, exactly, are being infringed, outside of you not agreeing to rent their products on their terms?

This is very different from buying a digital product outright and then finding out that you, as the owner, cannot use it on your terms. Yes, we are all familiar with that crap, including the music industry exec some decades back who was trying to argue you'd have to rebuy your music on tapes/mp3s to listen in your car, even though you had bought the CDs. Or Sony's rootkit DRM. Or sundry others. Yes, that's crap. Doesn't make your complaint any more relevant, in the specific case of a rental. Which you can terminate at any time and does not afford you any rights past that termination.

I'd somewhat get it if you specifically stated you were concerned about the problems their approach causes when customers want to use Linux as a viewing platform and the clash between that chosen platform and DRM. But you give no indication that you are anywhere as nuanced as that in your reasoning.

Oh, and, btw, this article had nothing to do with DRM, so you're just being tiresome, as per usual ;-) Me, I rather like Netflix and I also think their IT approach has been quite innovative and they don't mind sharing (ex: https://github.com/Netflix/SimianArmy/wiki/Chaos-Monkey, https://github.com/Netflix).

p.s. >particularly in the higher class

Not full of yourself in any way, are you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon