Reply to post: Re: Pure is SMB at best, not worthy of mention in the same article as VMAX.

Pure opens XtremIO, VMAX swap shop as Dell EMC party kicks off

StorAdmin

Re: Pure is SMB at best, not worthy of mention in the same article as VMAX.

Please…pop that bubble you find yourself trapped in. I’ve dealt with DMX to VMAX in BIG Enterprise environments and almost every other EMC product for YEARS. It’s all about the business, work load, and cost of doing business.

If you have mainframe and need that number of volumes and connected hosts, VMAX still is your guy basically because mainframes don’t need Flash arrays. Flash array workload types can overwhelm the non-flash VMAX array even with FAST VP. Only a VMAX Flash can compare with other Flash arrays but then there’s that huge price associated with that 950F Ferrari. The focus here is COST and meeting business needs!! Think of the power consumption alone needed for a Big VMAX array which equals costs.

HA is necessary for all storage but let’s look at EMC’s solutions. XtremIO is moving away from RecoverPoint because of all the issues experience with trying to merge the 2 products together. Let’s not forget the current need for a VPLEX with VMAX3 and RecoverPoint…additional complexity and costs. SRDF is nice and was one of the first big players in replication but snapshot base replication is the going forward norm. All vendors promise the world but let see how TimeFinder Snap VX really works.

I’ve migrated off many, many DMX & VMAX arrays and none were non-disruptive. The only NDM experience I’ve had is when a VPLEX was used and again those additional cost and complexity added to your environment. A VMAX 950F is a Tier1 and can out scale Pure Storage. A FLASHARRAY//X is also a Tier1 array and can outperform all other VMAX arrays. Just do the math and add up ALL the number involved with putting each hardware platform in your environment…which will get the job done at the end of the day and at what cost?

We shall see how it all turns out. If you drink the EMC Kool-aide and believe what they tell you, good for you. EMC’s declining support performance across their platforms really needs to stop to say the least. If everything EMC has told me over the year ended up being true, the world would be a perfect place to live. It only matters what an array can “really” do in a production environment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon