Reply to post: Re: Wot no Alligator Garden Lopper?

'OK, everyone. Stop typing, this software is DONE,' said no one ever

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Wot no Alligator Garden Lopper?

I liked that story.

A 100+year old tree outside a supermarket fell down last winter - miraculously falling just short of most of the surrounding buildings. It was decided to pollard the remaining tree of similar enormous girth and height - it couldn't be felled because it is in a conservation area. The main branches were cut at a point where they were at least a foot (30cm) thick. One fell in the wrong place - and reduced a section of substantial 4x4 timber car park fencing to matchwood.

I have been tempted to use a chainsaw on a pole to remove an overhanging branch of next door's feral tree that has grown in a few years to block my sunlight. The neighbour is totally uncooperative - so every tree surgeon has refused to touch the job. There seem to be two potential disasters.

1) the chainsaw can get stuck in the cut at maximum reach.

2) the branch could "hinge" on the final strip of bark just before the cut is complete. The resulting trajectory would then smash it into through the neighbour's fence.

So all I can do is pray that the tree is not immune to the "ash die-back" disease that is apparently ravaging the UK's ash trees.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon