Reply to post: Re: '34 years of development - Windows 10 is the result'

Microsoft admits to disabling third-party antivirus code if Win 10 doesn't like it

Rob D.

Re: '34 years of development - Windows 10 is the result'

Looking for Alt-Windows, a few months ago I tried out Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, CentOS (a work thing) and eventually settled on Mint also. For me it provided the best usability and fitted my requirements of the OS fairly well. Quite honestly I haven't looked back since - I retained the Win7 dual boot but haven't booted it for ages.

But ready for prime time? It depends on your definition - for example, I use the system to provide PVR capabilities and long story short, I had to find and configure TVHeadEnd, find and configure Kodi, find and configure an obscure device driver for my DVB-T device, troubleshoot the internals of the device operation which in some circumstances simply failed silently, and even communicated with the device driver author about the location and likely cause of the failure. The driver itself is OK but susceptible to OS prioritisation so I had to modify the TVHeadEnd start-up control to increase its priority to get decent recording.

On Windows, Media Center just loaded the device and worked. Mass market by definition.

So will I be going back to Windows as the main OS? Absolutely not and if anyone wants a recommendation, I'd put Mint at the top of the list. Is Linux Mint a free ride to Nirvana? Not for everyone.

Side note in kind - Linux Mint works on modern hardware and it's variants have real applicability in the real world - Jeremy Corbyn is more of a CP/M proposition combining a nostalgic harking back a few decades to a simpler time with a lack of practical application in the real world of today.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon