Reply to post: Re: What worries me is that a lot of large corporations

You're all too skeptical of super-duper self-driving cars, apparently

Robert Helpmann?? Silver badge
Childcatcher

Re: What worries me is that a lot of large corporations

To push back on the idea of losers a bit, AC, while there definitely will be shifts, not all of these are inevitable or even bad. Also, I don't think it is about control so much as money, though the two understandably may be conflated.

From your list of losers:

- luxury car manufacturers: One argument I have heard concerning electrics, which are going to be more and more common especially among self-driving cars, is that the base components are going to become commodities. This means that for car manufacturers to differentiate themselves, they will have to focus more on styling. This would seem to indicate that there will be more freedom for boutique car shops to provide a higher degree of customization. In other words, we are likely to have more companies working in this area rather than fewer.

- insurance companies: Insurance of one form or another will always be a part of this equation. Insurance companies may achieve cost savings by streamlining their operations as having fewer large customers will make this feasible. Individuals will pay whether they owe or rent. It's that way with houses (renter's insurance plus rolled into rent). Why would it be any different with cars? One thing you can always count on is that they will game the system to their advantage.

- marketing boutiques: While there may not be much marketing by smaller cab companies, I have seen ads for both Uber and Lyft. Also, why wouldn't ad companies negotiate to place marketing in vehicles for hire and at pick-up stations and in ride hailing aps? They already do all of these, of course.

- second car dealers: You are probably right on this one, though those that hang on will be more of the nature of antique dealers. I would not think this would be traumatic or abrupt as the widespread adoption of the new technology will not be overnight and there will always be old car enthusiasts.

- repair shops: More apt to be taken entirely in-house. While there probably will be some economic impact to this, it is not a bad thing. As with used car dealerships, this is not apt to disappear overnight and the workers in this area are also some that are apt to be able to pick up a new set of technical skills.

- taxi drivers: Again, you are probably right, but this is not apt to be abrupt. Those that persist in this profession are apt to be at the high end of the market. There are still doormen, so chauffeurs are likely to hang around, too.

- health systems (especially in US): This is likely to have the opposite effect from what you predict. By reducing mortality, average lifespan is increased. As the population's average age increases, so too does the need for health care. Increased demand leads to more jobs, et cetera.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019