Reply to post: Re: I'm in charge of me

You're all too skeptical of super-duper self-driving cars, apparently

Dwarf Silver badge

Re: I'm in charge of me

Pacemakers - no

Autopilots - pilots still control and have overrides, they also go into simulators regularly to keep the skills so they can try and recover when something goes wrong, it's not the computer that is expected to fix a problem, since there is no camera to tell it that a piece of the wing came off or that a lithium battery just filled the plane with some bad smelling smoke or any of a stack of other potential failure scenarios that the computer has no sensors for or code to interpret that special case that it causes on the sensors it has got.

Take that training need to self driving cars - will people be expected to attend regular driving lessons and will the manufacturers provide simulators - no, they will just claim it's not necessary at all

Traffic control systems - they advise us, but we still make the decision if we trust the info it's giving us as we are accountable for our actions. Crossing lights out, take extra care and work out when to cross. What would an autonomous car do - fail to sense it or wait till it comes back on sometime next Tuesday.

Train control - still has a meat bag at the front, at least on most U.K. Trains. Ok, some of them do get it wrong, but they generally get my vote.

Power control systems - I'm not plugged into the mains, so if it goes off then it's just inconvenient and I'll carry on. If the power goes up and it all starts going pop, then I can walk away to safety until a human fixes things.

The trend is that I'm in control and am accountable for me, not a computer where I'm expected to put my trust in a piece of code written by the cheapest programmer they could get who doesn't have any accountability for their code.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019