Reply to post: Re: Why I don't donate to big charities

Golden handshakes of almost half a million at Wikimedia Foundation

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Why I don't donate to big charities

"...as net income goes infra-red, employees are treated like fish to be made into sushi and fleets of buses are purchased because throwing your customers under one bus just isn't enough."

I suspect you miss the point. I said "in the private sector, pay yourselves as much as you like" because at least we all know the rules, i.e. companies are in business to make profits... and if you want to pay your senior management team excessive salaries out of those profits, then hey.... why not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its a "Good Thing (TM)" that you get senior execs on stupid salaries in the private sector.

I'm just saying that unlike the charity sector, the private sector does not sit there running prime-time TV adverts showing you starving children with flies in their mouth, or have armies of chuggers on the street selling you sob stories, or relying on large networks of unpaid volunteers. With the private sector, there is not the same expectation of core values and principles in people's minds that you have associated with the word charity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon