Reply to post: Re: Why I don't donate to big charities

Golden handshakes of almost half a million at Wikimedia Foundation

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Why I don't donate to big charities

Hear hear !

There are something like 250,000 registered charities in the UK, all no doubt doing equally good work for their own good causes. Why people feel the need act like lemmings and continue donating to the same "brand name" charities is beyond me !

All you need to do is look at the accounts for the large charities, obviously they are deliberately as clear as mud, but you can get a good feel for the unfair imbalance that "your alien overlord" alludes to.

Furthermore, I know and have met various people working on the "frontline" of some of the larger charities. The stories of all the toughing that goes on at management level is truly depressing ..... extensive use of chauffered cars instead of public transport, business class (or higher) on air trips (irrespecitve of how short the trip), and a healthy accommodation & subsistence budget .... and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Of course, the brand names will all tell you they need to do this to "attract the best talent". Well no. In the private sector, yeah, sure, pay yourselves as much as you like. But if you are going to work in a senior management role in the charitable sector then for heavens sake ... SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR THE FUNDAMENTAL CORE VALUES AND PRINCIPLES ASSOCIATED WITH THE WORD CHARITY AND ALL THOSE WORKING BELOW YOU ON THE FRONT LINE AS UNPAID VOLUNTEERS !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019