Reply to post: separation of responsibilities

First-day-on-the-job dev: I accidentally nuked production database, was instantly fired

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

separation of responsibilities

Devs should not get credentials for production databases.

All stuff they do should be on various dev databases.

With test deploys of development changes, done on a db that should be essentially a clone of any production database (with necessary anonymization done if actually populated from a production db). The testing / deploy should be done by non dev staff to make sure all is clear and simple & no hidden undocumented stuff needed.

I work in dev and have no access / knowledge of any customer database credentials, nor should I (not even access to production servers, never mind the databases therein)

All new dev updates are deployed and tested, by test engineers (again, do not have production access, so cannot accidentally run on wrong system), running against a test db that mimics typical customer production databases (and can be easily restored if things break horribly)

If testing is OK, updates are deployed on customer production sites - before deploy database and old application backups are taken (even in cases where customers have "realtime" backup db replication )

People can make mistakes, especially someone nervous, overwhelmed on first day of new job, mistakes happen, no back covering system is ever perfect, but at least you try and have half decent procedures in place to reduce likelihood of nasties (so where I am, non dev people do have access to production DBs, and they are the ones who have to be careful, as they could wreak havoc, hence others do testing first).

The scenario described, where production db creds are flying around for all and sundry to see is just deranged

If I do need to look at a problem on a production system (e.g. if it looks like an odd data / some corruption issue causing problems) then I work on a clone of that system that reproduces the problem, not the system itself

AC for obv detailed real world reasons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon