Reply to post: Re: Book stores.

UK PM May's response to London terror attack: Time to 'regulate' internet companies

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Book stores.

"like many politicians she targets a minority and rallies the majority against them."

This. We don't have any prospective leaders amongst the current lot that I can see.

Each of them identifies a section of society and tries to rally the rest of us against them by stoking fear, envy or both. Rich v poor, young v old, Scots v English, working v unemployed, indigenous v immigrants, leave v remain, religion. All of them are using divide and conquer tactics to try and stand on some section of society to lever themselves up into power.

A true leader would be able to stand up and speak to everyone without demonising some part of society to do it. To win by a majority, rather than simply being the largest minority as seems to be the aspiration at the moment, a leader would be able to say things in a way that makes the minorities feel like they were being heard, considered and respected, and the majorities that while they feel entitled and right, might also like to consider the opinions of people on the other side of the argument, who incidentally are not tory scum, left wing whingers, feckless single mothers, idle unemployed etc, they are just people with a different opinion. They all preach black and white binary arguments, and life is not like that.

You think Corbyn is an honest politician? Ah, so you are therefore an idiot who supports total communism, want free stuff for everyone then!

You support some of tory policy? So you are therefore an idiot and a miserable git who takes food from the mouths of babies, kick crutches from the disabled and enjoy anumal cruelty!

The problem with this childish binary view is that if your politics are centre ground and you can see some good in all (or most) camps, then you are not going to indicate support for anything or anyone because whatever you said is going to be reduced until it fits into one of the pigeon holes, at which point you become tory scum or a left wing idiot depending on who you were speaking to and which pigeon hole they managed to insert you (not your opinion) in. So both sides of any argument have a perfect echo chamber to reinforce their views in.

Show me a leader who is not jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon and can stand in front of us all and say stuff that includes everyone without putting down some section of society in the process, and I'll vote for them. United we stand!

Sorry, rant over, but I got a load of election shite through the door this morning and then I read this. It has given me indigestion. Beers all round before that gets banned!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon