Reply to post: Re: Alarms

Sons of IoT: Bikers hack Jeeps in auto theft spree

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Alarms

I lost my key to a late nineties Peugeot car. The official dealer required the VIN and proof of ownership, and then payment for a call to Peugeot to receive two codes - one described the physical shape of the key, the other for the passive transponder in the key. Then an independent key man came out to stranded vehicle. He used the first code instruct a small mill to cut a blank key. Then, inside the cabin, he connected a tablet to the car's port, placed the blank key in the ignition, and instructed the car itself to program the key with the correct code. (I had assumed he would have a discrete device for writing to the key's transponder, but I live and learn).

Actually, he spent about an hour scratching his head trying to talk to the car as a Peugeot 306 and getting nowhere... til on a whim he tried talking to it as a Peugeot Partner van, and it worked. "Never use version 1 of anything!" He said, referring g to the tablet and its software he was using as being new, and not as reliable as the older but slower solution. A week later he rang me up to say the company who supplied his tablet and its software might want to see my car to chase down the bug, if that was alright with me. This was around 2006, and the tablet wasn't running a windowed GUI.

It's common for some independent automotive technicians to get a discount on diagnostic tools if they give solid feedback - they're beta testers, effectively.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019