Reply to post: Google Docs great until you need to communicate with other businesses

Does Microsoft have what it takes to topple Google Docs?

garrybrady

Google Docs great until you need to communicate with other businesses

I started my own business a few years back and used Google Docs for Business. It was great and did all the things a small business needs without the huge (and unused) feature sets in Office. Over time we started to work more with other businesses who all used Office of varying vintage. Interop of files is possible between Google Docs + Office but you end up with multiple copies and a layer of unnecessary distraction.

So I moved us to Office 365 Business Essentials which seemed like MS equivalent to Google Docs and was only slightly more expensive.

Over time I've come across so many features missing from Office 365 online that's it's unusable in the real world... e.g. can't open older Office file formats, no table of contents or track changes in Word online.

So, reluctantly, I've moved us again to the 'full' office with 'proper' versions of Word/Excel just to end up with the same feature set (that we need as a small business). Everything now works but I am now paying nearly £10/user/month extra than Google Docs as the MS Office monopoly is still very much alive if you need to communicate with other businesses or some of your staff are used to Office.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon