Reply to post: Re: Couldnt start the standby....?

BA's 'global IT system failure' was due to 'power surge'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Couldnt start the standby....?

"Recently had one of them sat with me and a few colleagues (windows server infrastructure build team).He had been clearly been tasked by his head office to turn each of our 20 to 30 years experience and knowledge into some sort of script that they could then follow to fulfill server build projects... It was painful and an entirely impossible task in my opinion. Plus he could not even do a basic install of Windows server without help to begin with!"

This is one of the problems with outsourcing.

I once spent a few weeks handing over a system to an Indian guy, and it was built in a language he had no experience in. To his credit, he was a fast learner.

The other problem is that these companies move people around and have high turnover of staff. I managed an intranet for a company that got pushed out to India and bumped into one of the users, and they were complaining that like every 2 months, they got new people to deal with. So, they'd then have to explain what things meant. Things would take a long time because the staff didn't know the codebase. Eventually, they moved it back to the UK.

The best setups I've seen are a mixed thing. Team in the UK of half a dozen employed technical staff, and a load of guys out somewhere else. That team is there for the long-term, know the code base pretty well. They can turn around live problems in hours rather than days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon