Reply to post:

Sysadmin finds insecure printer, remotely prints 'Fix Me!' notice

2Nick3

At my daughter's dorm this past year just about every room at a WiFi printer in it, including hers via her roommate, which they were sharing.

The first issue was that, between all of devices attached to the network the IP table for the building was consumed. That sorted out when all of the extra devices (family cell phones, etc.) left after move-in was complete. Then there was the fact that most everyone had the same model printer (it was on sale at the nearest office supply store), so identifying which one was which on the network was near impossible, unless you changed the printer name (and were willing to go through pages of names to find yours - always start with 'AAAA' to be at the top of the list!). And IP addresses changed frequently, so permissions had to be updated frequently, for those that had even bothered.

My solution was a USB cable off the back of the printer - worked every time my daughter plugged it into her laptop. Her roommate fought the WiFi until they were both sick of the printer firing up at 03:00 and printing a random job from someone else in the building.

Simple is so often better.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon