Reply to post: Re: No corruption here, move along

RightNow founder turned politician gets assault charge after 'bodyslamming' reporter

Ian Michael Gumby Silver badge
Boffin

Re: No corruption here, move along

Wow. I think you really need to take off your political shaded glasses and look at it from an objective point of view. He was charged with Misdemeanor Assault because that best fits what happened. I suggest you look at the relevant laws as well as my response to you below..

From the recording and eyewitness reports from Fox News.

The reporter confronted the politician. He put his hand in his face with a recorder and started to ask him questions. The politician first politely said no, and declined to give an answer. He then directed him to talk to someone else. The reporter didn't take no for an answer and continued to attempt to ask more questions. It quickly escalated and the politician took down the reporter. You can hear him getting angry and made reference to an earlier incident.

Note: This is all evidence. For the prosecution, it details that there was an attack and corroborates witness testimony. For the defense, it shows that he didn't commit aggravated assault.

"45-5-202. Aggravated assault. (1) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault if the person purposely or knowingly causes serious bodily injury to another or purposely or knowingly, with the use of physical force or contact, causes reasonable apprehension of serious bodily injury or death in another.

(2) A person convicted of aggravated assault shall be imprisoned in the state prison for a term not to exceed 20 years and may be fined not more than $50,000, except as provided in 46-18-219 and 46-18-222. "

That's MT law btw.

Now Misdemeanor Assault is outlined here:

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/montana-misdemeanor-assault.htm

Note: What occurred fits Misdemeanor Assault more than Felony Assault.

And again here, he has a decent defense ahead of him. It all depends on what the witnesses say and how they are questioned under oath.

Does that make sense?

Learn the law and learn to be objective.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019