Reply to post: Re: Consumption "hotspots".

Britain's on the brink of a small-scale nuclear reactor revolution

Kiwi
Flame

Re: Consumption "hotspots".

An obvious one here is motorway service stations. That way there might be a chance of charging all those electric cars.

Now that's a bloody good idea! So few people give a thought to the demands electric cars would place on the grid should they become more common (there was a report here in NZ yesterday (IIRC) that there would be no more petrol cars by 2025 - just a few years away - because they'd all be replaced by electric. I pointed out to the person who told me about the report that it's going to take another 3 years before he has fibre at his house despite the government-mandated "roll out", how quickly does he think the national power grid would be upgraded to allow for each house to charge 2 cars let alone places like apartment blocks, or the neighbours across the road who have 4 cars used daily in their 5-person household, or the neighbours down the hill who have 3 flats, 2@2 occupants each with a car they use daily, and no off-street parking?

With clean electricity electric cars are a nice, clean and green item. Where coal and oil power stations are having to be fired up to subsidise the grid to cater to these cars, they're not at all clean or green. I've heard talk that some of our mothballed coal and oil stations will need to come back online due to increasing demand a part of which (likely really a small part) is electric cars.

once the fast recharge problem is cracked,

Easy fix for that. STOP SUBSIDISING THE FUCKING THINGS! Why should someone rich enough to buy one of them get "free charging" at various spots built by the local council? Why should the poorer people be paying (through rates) for these pricks to be able to drive their latest wankmobile? Cut the subsidised charging spots, make them pay for their own power at an appropriate rate, and you'll soon see things change!

Icon : Gimmie a blowtorch and one of those fuckers who boasts about being able to charge his latest $60,000 toy for free while the rest of us struggle just to get 2 meals a day!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon