Reply to post: Re: Wasn't "But we had to have SMB for our internal shares on the network" the NHS problem?

Wannacry: Everything you still need to know because there were so many unanswered Qs

Law

Re: Wasn't "But we had to have SMB for our internal shares on the network" the NHS problem?

"Surely a familar scenario for many remote workers?"

No - our VPN has security checks in place that won't let you connect fully until you've:

a - got the recent antivirus definitions

b - fully patched

c - had a recent scan

In the past, if you'd not logged in for more than a week it'd require you to go on site to get the updates... these days you get to update without being fully connected over vpn, so no trip required.

As a dev, I've mostly got control over the machine, but there are several group policies I don't have control over. Certain services are blocked, ports as well, and I can't disable security features like virus checker, or the software deployment software.

Being a remote worker isn't an excuse, or necessarily any riskier than on-site staff. Unsurprisingly we've not had any WannaCry infections in the multinational organisation of 10k people, with many remote workers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019