Reply to post: Re: MRI running Windows

Do we need Windows patch legislation?

Palpy

Re: MRI running Windows

I wrote, "a perfectly good MRI machine because its software package only works with Windows XP". I didn't imply that the machine itself runs Windows OS.

That said, it's not unusual to find a Windows RT PLC here and there. I think we have one at my facility. The others that I've worked with all show a penguin at boot-up.

I'm not in medical automation, but I do remember reading trade news about a new oil refinery which was installing a particular plant-wide automation package. That version being installed only runs on XP. And that was in 2014, when XP was already very near EOS. And mind you, the software in this case does not run just one machine but virtually every valve and pump in the plant.

(In the latter case, installing that version was a very bad decision on the part of the Chinese company building the plant, IMHO. Of course they may have specced that version so it would be fungible with existing installations, but it's still very short-sighted. Says me, who really knows nothing about the situation on the ground.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon