Reply to post: Vendors, do your fucking jobs and fix your shit.

Do we need Windows patch legislation?

Gordon Fecyk

Vendors, do your fucking jobs and fix your shit.

I'm torn on this one. I've been doing this crap for over twenty years and I've seen a lot of shit product from vendors that aren't Microsoft. Yes I've seen a lot of Microsoft shit too, but everyone else makes themselves a much easier target. And then we have this shit used to keep people alive and maintain "people will die if this doesn't work" systems.

Remember Java's EULA? "You acknowledge that Software is not designed, licensed or intended for use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility." And if you search that phrase, you'll see it on a lot of software EULAs, including Symantec's.

https://www.symantec.com/connect/pages/symantec-connect-software-license

And who remembers "Windows for warships?" El Reg here even referenced the USS Yorktown a few times here.

Sad to say, but maybe Windows for desktop PCs shouldn't be used in these environments. The SE Linux folks have a place here, or maybe Windows long-term servicing branches if it really has to be Windows.

But really: This is 2017 and Vista's been out for ten years; longer if you include preleases that vendors are supposed to be testing their shit against. What are all of these vendors doing? At least locally I'm seeing hospitals and clinics using some version of Windows 7, and that's not including the places that handle money that are using Windows 10.

I've had to drag vendors kicking and screaming into running their shit on Server 2012 R2 and Windows 10, assuming support responsibility when they won't do what we pay them for support agreements. This is unacceptable.

(Wow, it took some bullshit like this to bring me out of lurking for five years.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon