Reply to post: Windows in the NHS

74 countries hit by NSA-powered WannaCrypt ransomware backdoor: Emergency fixes emitted by Microsoft for WinXP+

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Windows in the NHS

I used to work in an NHS Board IT department.

The problem with working for the NHS is that every year you get bombarded with requests for suggestions on how to save money due to the continual cutbacks. I am one of those that bombards them back with suggestions, like start using open source software. The answer is always the same, "the software vendors only write software for windows". And there lies the problem. The NHS is the customer and should be only offering the business to those who will write the software for a less costly platform. There is also a problem with mindset that we have used Word and Excel for years and that is the reason we will continue. Of course it doesn't help that my Board no longer has any IT training department, preferring instead that staff rely on far cheaper online courses, which I can tell you are considerably less effective, or relying on staff who are knowledgeable to help out with problems.

Our systems have improved. We are no longer on XP!

My views are mine alone and not necessarily the views of my employer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon