Reply to post: Re: "We have responsibly declined to suspend business activities due to our commercial dispute...

Unpaid tech contractor: 'I have to support my family. I have no money for medicines'

Naselus

Re: "We have responsibly declined to suspend business activities due to our commercial dispute...

"I got out of that gig because suddenly there was a "dispute" and no one got paid"

It's very commonplace. I started out as a contractor, because at the time if you got into IT where I was in the UK you more or less had to be - permanent jobs were only ever offered to people who'd been contracting for a company for ages (long enough to plausibly sue for employment rights). And yeah, there's a couple of dozen jobs that I simply never got paid for - including ones from massive, big-name companies who could easily afford it but simply elected not to pay me for 2-3 days work because I was unlikely to take it to court for a few hundred quid. Hell, one time, a local NHS hospital failed to pay us due to office politics between our boss and our boss's boss. Nothing we'd done wrong - just one dilbert trying to screw another one over.

That's why I gave up on contracting as soon as I could.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon