Reply to post: Re: Linked-In?

Facebook is abusive. It's time to divorce it

Kiwi

Re: Linked-In?

"Now, please let me know how do I stop receiving invitations when I've never even joined..."

You want somebody to spoon feed you through setting up an email filter rule?

Problem is.. Linkedin has been known to send emails from people inviting you to join them who are people you know and who are on LI, but who have neither given LI permission to send emails on their behalf nor given it access to your contacts (something naughty there, perhaps using JS leakage or something back in the day, basically this only stopped with me when I would separate LI and email sites with different browsers AND changed my email password after having logged into my email account via webmail while also logged in to LI - I'm not alone in this, a little googling will see others experienced it).

Also, LI is known to send emails from people inviting others to join when the sending account does not belong to a LI customer, ie they falsify who is sending the request. At least in the past. Again, google is your friend1 if you wish to seek citations..

Aside from maybe filtering by body for linkedin (who could also point to a page that reloads to LI), how do you filter for messages from people you know who you wish to receive mail from, when an organisation is sending stuff pretending to be from them? Do you filter by mail software as well as name? But what if they have more than one machine and use more than one mail program? How big should your mail filters be just to stop one rogue organisation spamming you? Here's looking forward to your spamfilter walkthrough..

1 The sort of friend you would never trust around your kids, your wife, or your cat... And you certainly would never trust them to give you any drinks in case the contents weren't as advertised....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon