Reply to post: @Lord

Microsoft promises twice-yearly Windows 10, O365 updates – with just 18 months' support

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

@Lord

Well... Linux also has its issues depending on your distribution. I still recall upgrading from one Ubuntu LTS version to the other, it was a total nightmare because I was actually skipping 3 major releases at once and it didn't go smoothly.

But I do agree: this move is bound to push more people away from Windows. Once again Microsoft doesn't take note of the past. Because although not directly comparable I see direct comparisons with Firefox back in the days: one of the things which drove plenty of users mad was its almost constant stream of updates where tons of stuff changed.

And then there's the big one: what if you don't want a certain change. For example: I despised Windows 8 so I completely skipped it. With this new update model that would be completely impossible.

Replacing Windows with an open-source environment and using Wine for whatever Window needs you have is getting more tempting every month.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019