Reply to post:

Yee-hacked! Fired Texan sysadmin goes rogue, trashes boot business

VanguardG

I should think there were plenty of felonies here to get things ramped up high enough he would be looking at plenty of jailtime - especially if a prosecutor pushes for time to be served consectively, instead of concurrently, on at least some of the charges. Besides...the prosecutor would want as MANY counts of as MANY charges as possible, not just a few big ones. Then the defense attorney can't find a loophole that negates the ONE big charge and get his client off with only a few months on a handful of misdemeanors. Get him 7 or 8 charges that each carry 4 or 5 years, and push for consecutive sentencing, and you'll get the jailtime even if the defense gets some of the charges dismissed. And, were I a judge (luckily for criminals, I'm not) I'd see each server knockdown as a separate crime, and endorse consecutive sentencing - he had a chance to stop himself after screwing up each server, but he continued. So, he should also CONTINUE to serve time in jail after completing his time for each server. The actual judge probably will be much more forgiving...he might be sentenced to 10 years, but the judge will probably suspend 8 of them and let him get out "on good behavior" after just a few months. Then again, its Texas - he might get the firing squad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019