Reply to post: Re: But seriously though folks....

Ex-IBMer sues Google for $10bn – after his web ad for 'divine honey cancer cure' was pulled

martinusher Silver badge

Re: But seriously though folks....

>I should have been clearer: they're still basically barbaric and attempt to kill the cancer before the patient.

I think we're about the same stage with cancer cures are we were with infections in the 1930s. Back then even a relatively minor infection could easily turn life threatening. Once antibiotics became widely available infections became more of a nuisance. We're at the point where we are starting to really understand what cancers are and how they hide in our bodies which has allowed the development of some spectacularly successful experimental therapies. I'd guess that as this work continues we'll see the widespread availability of therapies over the next few decades that would make most cancers more of a nuisance than a threat. (Which, if antibiotics are anything to go by, would be followed by cancers promptly evolving to combat our therapies....and so the biological arms race continues.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon