Reply to post: dear lord

As Trump signs away Americans' digital privacy, it's time to bring out the BS detector

Alistair
Windows

dear lord

"What contributions get companies is a foot in the door and a meeting with the legislator. Then it's up to the lobbyists legislator to make sure that their company's version of events is heard loud and clear and as many times as possible.

FTFY.

@BB

"re-classify the internet as "something else" and REGULATE CONTENT and its usage."

The FCC rules did nothing to *regulate content*. Your bombasticity is showing as usual.

Part of the issue on this side of the pond, both in your yard and mine is that the internet is *regarded* as a service, regulated as little as possible and effectively regarded as the future of our financial evolution, essentially, ye olde wilde west, but with new technology. For libertarians it is the holy grail of "don't touch this".

I personally know what can be done when one has access to CDR data from the cell masts, IUM data from the modems, and the relevant keys from IMEI's and IPdm macs. I have this pool of data. And, yes, yes indeed we can, in many cases, differentiate between Mummies PC and little Johnnie's PC.

The FCC rules are needed or you lot are relying on *individuals* like me who will take the stand of making sure that pool of data is cleaned up *BEFORE* it is assembled, or at the *very* minimum ensure that there is some minimum level of anonymization applied to the data pool, and then serious access restrictions on the anonymization keys.

There are *very* good legal reasons for having this data pooled, sorted, analysed. And for much of this data there are legal obligations to collect the data and store it for some period of time. This (the collection and storing of said data for legal obligations) is *expensive* as there is rather a lot of data to store. Pai, and several of the FCC objector Congresscritters acknowledged that, and believed that the ISP's deserved to use that data to generate income to pay for the collection of legally obligated data. Selling on the advertising targets was what the ISP's wanted because "GOOGLE". Look at how RICH google got off advertising. Look at the wealth it *CREATED* (hearing a certain freemarketeer there anyone?) Look at what it did for the STOCK MARKET....

I am serious here. I and one of the data scientists decided to demonstrate to our security head *just what* we can determine from this data. This demonstration is the only reason that we have a dedicated security analyst that reports to an entirely different division of the company on the platform. You really, really, really do not want this crap leveraged against your kids. Whose internet history will be detailed from birth to death if the ISP's, Google, Facebook, Snap, etc get their way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon